The 3 things that have transformed my skin

Wednesday 11 May 2016

Let me start this by saying that I'm definitely not a skincare expert. However, quite a large proportion of my job is actually spent on prepping skin before the makeup goes on so my knowledge is improving and, to be honest, I'm totally fascinated by skincare at the moment. The better the skin the better the makeup goes on - and the less of it you need - which makes my life easier ;)


There are 3 things that I've personally started doing in my daily skincare routine over the last few years that have really improved my skin. Apart from those fun hormonal spots, my skin is pretty clear and it now actually has some semblance of a natural glow to it which feels huge to me. It's amazing how much better you feel about yourself when your skin is in better condition.

These are the three tips that I like to share with the people I work with if they are struggling with their skin. I really hope they help you too!

Ditching the wipes and picking up the flannel
I've definitely gone through phases of using wipes which did no good for my skin and, if that wasn't incentive enough, made me feel awful for not realising the impact that they have on our environment (this article by Sali Hughes was an eye opener).

Once I changed, for good, to washing my face with a proper flannel I was shocked by how fast my skin started looking better. I buy mine in bulk here. 12 for around £7 is pretty good value. In terms of cleansers, I alternate between the Emma Hardie Moringa Cleansing Balm and the Oskia Renaissance Cleansing Gel. I've used cheaper cleansers (I love the L'Oreal Age Perfect Cleansing Milk) and, combined with the flannel action, they also work a treat.

Doing the double cleanse
If you're like me and wear makeup most days, then the double cleanse is a must. Think of the first cleanse as getting rid of that layer of makeup, and the second cleanse as giving the skin a good old clean.

For that reason, I think it's always nice to save your pricier cleanser for that second cleanse so that you don't use up expensive product on makeup removal.

Acid toning
After I've cleansed my face, I do a quick wipe of a gentle acid toner on a cotton pad to exfoliate my skin and prep it for the serum. If I cut this out, my old friends the chin spots come rushing back, so it's something that is a non-negotiable part of my daily routine.

The Pixi Glow Tonic is my absolutely favourite for the price as it's gentle but exfoliating and, as the name suggests, gives the skin a lovely glow. I did give the Zelens PHA+ Bio-Peel Resurfacing Facial Pads a try towards the end of last year. These were much stronger than the glow tonic (and much pricier), but my skin had honestly never looked better. I'm really tempted to invest in these again but £60 is a bit of a splurge! Watch this space...

What are the daily skincare practices that improve your skin the most? I'm always looking for new ideas!

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!